The village of McLean, IL was platted in 1856.  School District No. 5 was laid out and organized in 1858.  The present site for the school was selected in 1867.  In 1868, a two story school was near completion when it was destroyed by a tornado.  Another was quickly constructed in time for the fall term.  The cost was $7,373.53 and it was used for both grade and high school.  This building was destroyed by fire in December 1883.  The next summer a building similar to the old one was erected.  It was completely remodeled inside in 1901 and 1902.  The building was kept in excellent repair and served the district for more than 32 years.  It was destroyed by fire in 1916.  A one-story brick school building was constructed in 1918.  The district was consolidated with six rural schools in McLean County and two in Logan County in 1947.  This became Community Consolidated District No. 424. --Adapted from William B. Brigham’s The Story of McLean County and Its Schools. This collection contains 1 ledger book and 1 folder of history of the district.