The McLean County Home Bureau was first established in 1918 by Mrs. Spencer Ewing, and was called the McLean County Home Improvement Association until 1920. In 1920, the name changed to Home Bureau. In order to gain membership in the newly formed association, Mrs. Ewing planned to get 50 members from each township in McLean County, resulting in individual township clubs. She was elected the first president of the Home Improvement Association in 1918. Later, in the same year, Miss Clara R. Brian became the first home adviser. Her duty was to travel to the townships in McLean County and educate the units about food and nutrition, good health, clothing, and other information that would benefit the wellbeing of the individual home. In 1962, the name of the Home Bureau changed to Homemakers Extension Association.
The McLean County Home Bureau Collection contains 8 boxes with 187 folders and 32 items, which include day books, notebooks, and scrap books. Included in the collection are histories of the townships that participated in the Home Bureau, constitutional documents, descriptions of positions within the Home Bureau, lessons, correspondence, insurance information, annual and monthly reports, membership lists, newspaper clippings, financial reports, meeting minutes, programs, photographs, and information specific to the Dale Unit. The contents of this collection are organized by year.