The largest and most successful coal mine in McLean County was the McLean County Coal Co., located on Bloomington’s west side, north of Washington St. and just west of the Chicago & Alton Railroad mainline (today these tracks are shared by Union Pacific and Amtrak). It operated from 1867 until the late 1920s. In 1904, to cite one measure, this mine
accounted for 150,000 of 218,000 tons—or 69 percent—of all coal hauled out of McLean County.
The McLean County Coal Company collection consists of 1 box, which holds 1 ledger and 6 folders containing material from 1869-1929, 1945, 1966, and 2007. Items in the collection include newspaper clippings, the company ledger from 1923 to 1929, stock certificates, and correspondence, real estate and tax bills.