Houghton School received its name because it was situated on the Stephen Houghton farm. A frame house built one and one quarter miles south of Bloomington, it was once known as Lincoln School. A new brick building was erected in 1898, costing $1,835.85. An additional room was added in 1928 for $7.000. The first list of schools to be made standard in McLean County, published in 1910, included Houghton. By adding a teacher, the school affiliated with Illinois State Normal University; however, Normal withdrew its affiliation in 1944 --Adapted from William B. Brigham’s The Story of McLean County and Its Schools
This collection contains school history and newspaper articles, 2 registers, and 1 ledger.