Skip to Content
200 North Main St | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428
/ Blog / Post

Up and Over Downs May 1953

Aerial view of the village of Downs, 1953.

Even the small Village of Downs had a post-World War II housing boom (relatively speaking). This view looks southwest. “A” indicates Highway 150; “B,” the site today of Tri-Valley Elementary School; “C,” the old high school building (since torn down); “D,” Woodlawn Street; and “E,” Cleveland Street.
Note also that there was no Interstate 74 in 1953!

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp is the Librarian at the McLean County Museum of History

Leave a comment