Second Presbyterian Church block Pre-Parking Lot Mania
This undated aerial shows a section of the east side of downtown Bloomington prior to the loss of much of the built environment to surface parking lots. Everything in the L-shaped blue box is gone, replaced by surface parking for State Farm Insurance and Second Presbyterian (Second Pres). The red No. 1 was the Irving Theatre; No. 2 old St. Matthews Episcopal Church; and No. 3 old First Church of Christ, Scientist. All three are gone, as are all the other residential and commercial buildings within the blue lines.
No. 4 shows the 1895 Second Pres sanctuary and No. 5 the U.S. Post Office built during the Great Depression. The church opened a new sanctuary in 2005, and the Depression-era post office building is now part of the church complex.
Oh, if you were wondering, No. 6 is the old post office (even older than the one Second Pres occupies today) and No. 7 is old Bloomington City Hall (City of Bloomington - City Hall). These two buildings are long gone.