Photo of the Week, 98: New Marathon Station Opens, 1957
On Saturday, November 23, 1957, the Twin City's third Marathon service station opened at the southeast corner of Clinton and Washington streets in Bloomington. Art Smith was the first operator. The grand opening featured tickets good for a free auto lubrication. Other promotional giveaways included serving trays for women and key chains for men, while children took home balloons and small coin banks.
The Marathon station pictured here is no longer standing. Today, the corner of Clinton and Washington streets is home to a Franzetti's Pantry Plus convenience store, though whereas the Marathon station faced Clinton, Franzetti's faces Washington.