Photo of the Week, 70: A Real Animal House
Although both Illinois State and Illinois Wesleyan universities have their share of fraternities, the only honest-to-goodness animal house in the Twin Cities is the one at Miller Park Zoo!
Designed by noted Bloomington architect Arthur L. Pillsbury, the Animal House (now known as the Katthoefer Animal Building) opened 100 years ago in early March 1914. Seen are the two earliest views (exterior and interior) of the building in the Museum's photographic collections. In 1977 local officials renamed this historic edifice the Katthoefer Animal Building in honor of Grover and William Katthoefer, who served as park superintendant and zookeeper respectively.