Patrol Boys Confab, January 1946 Franklin School, Bloomington
Some 140 patrol boys from nine Bloomington public schools gathered at Franklin School on January 8, 1946, for a joint meeting on traffic safety. Seen here is the gathering’s principal speaker, Capt. Emerson H. Westwick (left) of the Illinois State Highway Patrol, bantering with some of the local lads. The adult looming in the back is Sgt. Walter C. Lockenvitz of the Bloomington Police Department.
Franklin School was located on Park Street between Empire and Graham streets on the eastern edge of the Illinois Wesleyan University campus. Today the old school site is—what else!—an IWU surface parking lot.