Normal’s Streetcar ‘Subway’ Ca. 1912
This viaduct (or “subway,” as they were once called) was built to enable Bloomington & Normal Railway Co. streetcars to safely cross the Chicago & Alton Railroad mainline in Normal. Opened in October 1904, this viaduct connects West Beaufort and West Vernon streets.
Although streetcars last operated in the Twin Cities in 1936, this viaduct remains open today and is used by automobiles, bicyclists, and pedestrians.