Lone Star School Dawson Township, undated
Lone Star School teacher Florence Lauritson (in white, standing) is seen here with her students. Located north of Ellsworth, Lone Star was one of eight one-room schools in Dawson Township, which is east of Bloomington. The interesting name speaks to the fact the schoolhouse, painted white, was easily spotted from afar on the “lonely prairie.”
Lone Star was closed in 1948 when it was consolidated into the Downs-Ellsworth unit school system.