Skip to Content
200 North Main St | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428
/ Blog / Post

General Electric Plant Route 66 “Beltline,” 1968

General Electric, 1968.

Hey wait minute, where did Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano go? Clearly, back in 1968 there wasn’t much at what’s today the intersection of Veterans Parkway and GE Road! In the lower right corner, though, one can glimpse a small part of the Prairie Traveler Motel.
The General Electric plant opened in 1954 and shutdown remaining manufacturing in the fall of 2010.
Who has memories of the GE plant back in its heyday? Who remembers when Veterans Parkway looked like this?

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp is the Librarian at the McLean County Museum of History

Leave a comment