BHS Athletic Field Undated Aerial
This undated view of Bloomington High School’s Athletic Field is looking southeast. “A” signifies Bloomington Country Club; “B” Elmwood Road; “C” Colton Avenue; and “D” Locust Street.
Opened in 1927, this facility was first known as Davis Field, named for U.S. Supreme Court Justice and Bloomington resident David Davis. In 1943 it was renamed Fred Carlton Field for a former BHS graduate and school custodian. At the time, the high school was not to the immediate north of this field but rather several blocks east of downtown on Washington Street.
After a $2 million renovation project completed several years ago, 4,000-seat capacity Carlton Field is one of the finest football venues in downstate Illinois.