Auto Hotel Downtown Bloomington
In July 1937, a group of Bloomington businessmen purchased the old post office building at the northwest corner of East and Jefferson streets. They then razed the post office in order to build Bloomington’s first fireproof automobile garage.
The Auto Hotel opened in late June 1938. By the early 1980s this parking garage was used by Bloomington (later Champion) Savings and Loan. The office area on the street level of this structure has served various businesses over the years, including Penny’s in the Plaza beauty salon. Today that space is occupied by Twin City Homebrewing.