George H. Miller (1856 - 1927) was one of eight children born to German immigrants in Bloomington; he grew up on the family farm near Bloomington, IL. At 15 he began working for the Rudolph Richter architectural firm, one of the few architectural firms in Bloomington at the time. In 1874 he traveled with architect John Harris to Columbus, Ohio, and served as a draftsman with Chicago based firm of Fredrick and Edward Bauman. He returned to Bloomington in 1875 where he began an active, successful career. He designed the Oberketter building, Corn Belt Bank building, and Livingston Building and other elaborate, ornamental, commercial buildings. He introduced the modern system of side lighting within school buildings. He designed many private homes in Bloomington and nearby communities.
Miller married Rose Stautz in 1887 and had three children. He served as Bloomington city treasurer, third ward alderman, and as the chancellor to the Knights of Pythias chapter in Bloomington. Miller suffered a stroke and paralysis and was ill the last four years of his life.
The collection includes one document from Miller. (His papers were burned after his death.) Most of the collection is Pantagraph newspaper articles about his buildings, including the move of one of his houses; information on two specific houses, and brochures which include images of his buildings.