Santa at the Courthouse Square Downtown Bloomington, 1948
On December 4, 1948, Santa Claus arrived in Bloomington via the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad. Upon disembarking at the old west side depot, Mr. Claus traveled east on Washington Street to the Courthouse Square. Some 6,000 children and their parents gathered on the Square to welcome Santa.
Note the “Be of Good Cheer” sign in the background. That’s Livingston’s department store on the south side of the Courthouse Square.