LeRoy’s CCC Camp August 1934
LeRoy was home to a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) work camp during the Great Depression. The view here is looking northeast, with downtown LeRoy barely visible through the tree canopy. Camp LeRoy opened in May 1934, and the unmarried young men between the ages of 18 and 25 stationed there worked on soil erosion control projects, including the planting of thousands upon thousands of trees. Camp LeRoy closed in 1939, and today the grounds are part of the Sunnyside subdivision located between U.S. Route 150 and Interstate 74.