The YWCA organization was founded in England in 1855, but women were active in the organization in McLean County as early as 1889, when the Second Annual National Convention of the YWCA was held in Bloomington, Illinois. The Bloomington YWCA did not have a building until 1922, when a campaign successfully raised the money to build on East Street. The next YWCA home was built after a 1974 campaign to build on land donated by the G. Earl Hartenbower Land Trust.
The collection includes the materials from the earliest days of the YWCA in Bloomington, Illinois in 1889, including programs of benefit theatrical performances, swim performances and recognition banquets in 2016. Many pamphlets of services offered by the YWCA are also present.