Rutledge School District was laid out in 1862, but not organized until 1867. The school was named after Charles Rutledge, who had donated some land. James Covey was the first teacher, beginning in October 1867. The original cheaply built school house, erected in 1867, was re-placed in 1874. The school was kept in good condition and was well equipped. The district was divided between Downs-Ellsworth and LeRoy Units in 1948.
The collection includes School Board Records and photocopy of some pages relative to Rutledge School from The Story of Mclean County And Its Schools.