The Greg Koos collection contains published and unpublished works by Greg Koos, executive director of the McLean County Museum of History. The collection also includes material (photographs, notes, rough drafts, correspondence, etc.) relating to speeches, history tours, historic preservation work, and sundry research projects and investigations. The items in this collection date from the early 1970s to the present.
Greg Koos has been an integral part of the McLean County Historical Society since 1977, when he became the archivist / site manager for the society, then located at the McBarnes Memorial Building on E. Grove St. As archivist, Greg organized and indexed archival collections, created finding aids, and assisted scholars and other individuals in the utilization of the society’s resources. As site manager, he undertook numerous restoration projects, including work on the Miller / Davis building and the Patton Cabin in Lexington.
In 1988, Greg was appointed executive director of the historical society. In that capacity, he led the society’s 1991-1992 move from the McBarnes Building to the old McLean County Courthouse. Greg was primarily responsible for the museum’s fiscal management, fundraising, public relations, publications program, and membership. He also works closely with the museum board on matters such as long-range planning, accreditation, endowment management, and other issues. He retired in 2016.
Greg maintained a strong presence in the local community, and from 1978 to the present, it’s estimated that he has been quoted / appeared in over 1,500 newspaper articles and radio and television newscasts. He is also a weekly guest on WJBC AM 1230, and writes a local history article for the bimonthly magazine TC Style published by The Pantagraph.