Central Social Club (Randolph Township)
The Central Social Club, originally known as the Diamond Grove Club, was a women’s club originally established by Mrs. H. H. Waggoner, Mrs. Henry Baker, and one other unknown woman in 1907. In 1922 the club was renamed the Randolph Central Social Club since by that point most of its members lived nearer to Randolph than Diamond Grove. Over time the variety of places club members came from increased as members moved away but remained on the roll call and continued to pay dues. According to a club history written around 1944 by Mrs. May Graves, an officer of the club, the group at that time consisted of members from Bloomington, Heyworth, Downs, and LeRoy.
The club’s function was primarily a social one, and it held Halloween parties, Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas dinners, steak fries, picnics, ice cream socials, wiener roasts, and various other events for its members over the course of its history. However, the club also sought to benefit the community, and to this end they sometimes did sewing work for the Red Cross, held showers for brides and mothers-to-be, and gave flowers to the sick.
The Central Social Club collection contains newspaper clippings, typed transcripts of newspaper articles, minutes of the club’s meetings, histories and poems written by members of the club, greeting cards, photographs, funeral programs, and annual programs.