B-29 Bomber Visits Courthouse Square June 13, 1950
Back during the early years of the Cold War the fuselage of a U.S. Air Force B-29 Superfortress was put on display on the McLean County Courthouse Square, presumably as part of a patriotic road show to celebrate America’s technological, industrial, and military might. Air Force personnel were on hand during the June 13, 1950 stop in Bloomington to explain the bomber’s workings and answer questions. The four-engine, propeller-driven heavy bomber played a major role in the final year of World War II in the Pacific Theater.
This is the 100 block of West Jefferson Street, the north side of the Courthouse Square. Two longtime locally owned department stores can be seen in this photo. Who remembers W.H. Roland’s and / or C.W. Klemm’s