The Stern family moved to Bloomington in 1905, where Jacob Stern opened Stern’s Furniture Co. The firm was located at 504-06 North Main Street in Bloomington. Sam Stern was born May 6, 1903 in St. Louis, son of Jacob and Rose Iker Stern. He took over the business with his brothers after their father’s death in 1916. The company expanded into the next door location in 1939, after the death of Harry Stern, (Sam Stern’s brother) in 1937. In spring of 1982, Sam Stern and his nephew Harry Stern moved Stern Furniture Co. to 502 Eldorado Road, near Veteran’s Parkway. In 1986 the firm held a going out of business sale, and closed thereafter.
Sam Stern served in the Army during WWII, and never married. He was an active community member, and served as chairman of the St. Joseph’s Hospital Medical Center and the Moses Montefiore Temple building committee. He also was a member of numerous organizations, including the Bloomington Masonic Lodge and Bloomington Consistory. Sam received the Golden Book of Good Deeds Award from the Exchange Club of Bloomington in 1979, and the Humanitarian Award by the Pilot Club in 1978. In his spare time he enjoyed visiting the circus and Miller Park Zoo and traveled often. He passed away August 1, 1982.