Normal Community Garden Club
In the summer of 1939 nine women were invited to meet at the home of Mrs. Wm. (Hattie) Dickey to organize a Normal Garden Club. The purpose was to exchange gardening and flower arranging ideas and experiences. A constitution was drawn up. Officers were president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. Dues was to be collected. Membership was limited to 30. After the first year they began the meetings with a planned program for each month. The first couple of years programs covers were hand painted original designs. The years '42 and '43 were green and white gingham cloth covers. For a short time during WWII they were on WJBC radio with a program of seven minutes of music and seven minutes of garden hints which was well received by the audience.
The club's year ran from April to March, with an agenda of various flower topics from arranging, planting, sunlight, soil, etc. they even got into vegetables. Most meetings were hosted by a member, although sometimes held at a garden or community center.