Photo of the Week, 55: McKnight & McKnight Building, August 1929
Located at the northeast corner of Center and
Market streets, this downtown landmark dates to 1913 when it first
served as an addition to the J.E. Will Furniture Co. building on North
Main Street. Designed by local architect George H. Miller, this
steel-frame “high-rise" with cream-colored glazed brick, was the tallest
building in Bloomington upon its completion.
McKnight & McKnight, a local publishing firm, moved into the building about the time of this photograph. The company published education-related titles in fields ranging from geography to the industrial arts. Today, this building is a senior residential tower known as The Downtowner.