200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428
Home > Blog > Old Main Comes Down September 9, 1958
Old Main building, 1958.

On September 9, 1958, a one-ton wrecking ball made quick work of Illinois State University’s first campus building, affectionately known as “Old Main.” The last wall toppled at 4:33 p.m. that late afternoon, marking the end of a building that first opened in 1861.
Today, a memorial featuring the building’s bell can be found on the north end of the Illinois State Quad.


Written By

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp is the Librarian at the McLean County Museum of History

Posted in Historic Photos

September 9th, 2015

0