We are closed today.
Wednesday, August 26
Starts at 5:30 PM
On Aug . 26 , 1920 , eight days after it had been ratified, the 19th Amendment was declared in effect by Secretary of State Bainbridge Colby, giving female citizens the right to vote in all American elections.
Join the League of Women Voters of McLean County, the McLean County Museum of History, and the B-N Alumnae Chapter-Delta Sigma Theta Sorority for a celebration on the east side of the History Museum. The event will feature:
• Celebratory masks for the first 60 participants (masks and physical distancing is required);
• Voter registration opportunities;
• League of Women Voter Membership table (stop by and learn how to join us)
• Inspiring music to help us power the vote in the November 3rd election;
• Remarks from:
Becky Hines, president League of Women Voters of McLean County
Janessa Williams, from co-sponsor B-N Alumnae Chapter-Delta Sigma Theta Sorority (Midwest Region); plus,
• A chance to win some voting-themed prizes with Suffragist Trivia
While we celebrate, we will also rally to support the work ahead.
“The battles women fought 100 years ago—for a constitutional right and against segregationist and discriminatory Jim Crow laws in the South—echo in 2020 as American women continue to work against voter suppression and for full access to the polls.”-Historian Martha Jones