This New Year’s Day card, circa. 1914, comes from the Museum’s Greeting Card Collection.
Staged photograph of Father Time and Baby New Year. Unfortunately, we don’t know the name of either the unhappy toddler.
Herman Kadgihn ran a news and cigar shop out of this storefront.
The Bloomington Public Library bookmobile program “bookwagon” parked in front of Bent Elementary School.
Commercial air service to Bloomington began on Nov. 6, 1950 with Ozark’s first flight into Bloomington Municipal Airport. Local officials were guests on the inaugural flight.
The Pontiac Holiday Tournament is the nation’s oldest such Christmastime classic. Seen here are University High School’s Jim Barnes (#12) and Ted Smith (#8).
The Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, and members of the McLean County Museum of History wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
"Action shot” of Santa was taken in Bloomington, demonstrating here how he comes down a chimney without leaving his clothes “all tarnished with ashes and soot.”
On December 5, 1948, Santa arrived in Bloomington. Today, the one-story building right behind Santa is J' soul BBQ.
Pastor J.H. Yohe of First Pentecostal Church of Bloomington gives a sled a push. The boys were part of a 40-orphan contingent from Tupelo, Mississippi.
The Pantagraph ran a series of Christmas Day photographs such as this one, yet these two toddlers were not identified.
Downtown Bloomington holiday shoppers in mid-December 1953.
Shoppers out and about downtown Bloomington in mid-December 1953
These young women appear to be having the time of their lives. Can anyone help us out?
Santa arrived by train to Bloomington and spent much of the day greeting children. This little girl became separated from her mother, and not even Santa could calm her down.
Three inches of snow had Don Locke of Bryan’s Standard Service Station out plowing the drive. Today, this site is occupied by Illinois State University’s Professional Development Building.
Livingston’s was one of several gone-but-not-forgotten department stores. We know this wonderful photo was taken in mid-December 1953.
Richard Young is seen here showing an enlarged reproduction of his 1937 Christmas Seal design. More than 10,000 letters with Christmas Seals were sent in the hopes of raising money to fight Tuberculosis.
On December 4, 1948, Santa Claus arrived in Bloomington. Mr. Claus traveled to the Courthouse Square where some 6,000 children and their parents gathered on the Square to welcome Santa.
Jennie Wickizer purchased the commercial building at the corner of Main and Mulberry streets and operated a bakery. She ran it for about 20 years.