At the end of the 1964 school year, Leroy High School students selected biology teacher and basketball coach Ron Crosby (left) as “Teacher of the Year.” Crosby is seen here looking over diplomas with William Lewis, LeRoy’s principal.
LeRoy was home to a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) work camp during the Great Depression. Camp LeRoy opened in May 1934, and the unmarried young men stationed there worked on soil erosion control projects.
The view here is looking south. Today, there’s a new high school and more residential in-fill, but some of what’s seen here remains much the same 83 years later.
Billed as “Illinois largest free fall festival,” the LeRoy Fall festival live entertainment in downtown LeRoy. This M41 Walker Bulldog light tank was part of the festivities, but we’re not sure if it was part of a parade or was used as a static display for Cold War-era military recruitment.
This photo was taken of the LeRoy Centennial parade, held back in 1935. Rose Mae Bishop (seated) served as centennial queen.
A merchant’s parade was one of the highlights of LeRoy’s three-day centennial celebration, 1935. Leading the parade and seen here was the drum and bugle corps of the Illinois Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Children’s School of Normal.