After 33 years with C.W. Klemm’s, a locally owned department store in downtown Bloomington, Carrie Behrend retired on Saturday, February 1, 1958. She had spent the past 14 years in the pattern department. Located on the north side of the Courthouse Square, Klemm’s closed in November 1981.
Miss Behrend passed away on August 8, 1964.
On Friday, Jan. 30, 1953, local restaurants donated proceeds from their coffee sales to the March of Dimes and the campaign to combat infantile paralysis, commonly known as polio. Here is waitress Pauline McGath pouring coffee for truck drivers (left to right) Mack Rutledge, Gene Dreelan, and “Slick” Evans.
Leon Jaeger, an underwriting superintendent for State Farm Insurance, examines a frilly item for his wife Ruth several days before Valentine’s Day 1953. That’s longtime Livingston’s department store clerk Litta Ballow lending a helping hand.
John Pratt, who in a few days time would marry Geraldine Dillon in a Valentine’s Day ceremony, is seen here in a downtown Bloomington store sampling scents for his bride-to-be.
This undated aerial offers a wealth of fascinating detail.
Payless Drug: “It’s new! It’s different! It’s the latest in modern drug stores,”
George Lathrop was a Bloomington barber for many years. it was located on the 400 block of N. Main St.
The name My Store first appears in the 1891 Bloomington city directory. Oscar Mandel and brother-in-law John S. Bachrach embarked on an ambitious expansion plan, erecting a five-story “trade palace” in 1912.
Winter is hard on Twin City streets, with local residents always on the lookout for potholes, like the Laesch Dairy Driver.
Herman Kadgihn ran a news and cigar shop out of this storefront.
Livingston’s was one of several gone-but-not-forgotten department stores. We know this wonderful photo was taken in mid-December 1953.
Jennie Wickizer purchased the commercial building at the corner of Main and Mulberry streets and operated a bakery. She ran it for about 20 years.
Clarence W. Frey & Sons was a longtime auto dealership and service center. Seen here is a Frey showroom with circa 1929-1930 Studebakers.
The staff of Kleinau & Son’s is seen here in front of the storefront. Kleinau’s sold candy, ice cream, and fruit at this location.
This snowy Depression-era scene shows the corner of Main and Jefferson streets on the northeast corner of the Courthouse (now Museum) Square.
Ed Peifer of Peifer’s Madison Market shows a shopper the finer points of the Thanksgiving turkey.
This photograph offers a partial view of the 200 block of North Main Street, looking southeast. The Unity Building, one of the great office buildings, was lost in a fire in 1988.
From the late 1920s to the mid-1940s, W.H. Gronemeier operated a bakery at the northwest corner of East and Front streets. In 1935, you could bring your Thanksgiving turkey to Gronemeier’s and have it baked “to a queen’s taste.”
In 1965, Joseph G. Hawkins Studio & Camera Shop of Bloomington relocated from 214 W. Washington St. to this building. Hawkins began his photography career in Bloomington back in 1913 and he passed away in 1976.
Susan Emrath, a recent Illinois State University graduate, worked as a systems engineer for IBM. Emrath, 22 years old at the time, was the youngest in IBM’s eight-member account/marketing team and is seen here at a State Farm office with an IBM System/360 mainframe computer.