We are open to the public, and are requiring masks for all visitors over the age of 2. See Plan Your Visit page for additional information.
Seen here is an unidentified woman laying flowers in an unknown cemetery in the Bloomington area.
The Redd-William American Legion Post color guard heads north on East Street in downtown Bloomington during the Memorial Day parade of May 30, 1960. Redd-Williams was the Legion post for local African-American veterans.
Memorial Day 1935 in Bloomington included a parade that began at the McBarnes Memorial Building on East Grove Street.
This photographs shows the local Boy Scout contingent heading south along the 100 block of South Main Street.
Oscar Mandel and brother-in-law Albert Schwarzman opened this five-story “trade palace,” located on the northeast corner of Center and Grove streets, in April 1913. It replaced a much smaller retail outlet at the same location. My Store, Bloomington’s largest discount retailer, closed in early 1931
Seen here is Ritter, a representative one-room school (in size and architectural style) in Martin Township, east of Bloomington-Normal. Ritter School was located about four miles south of the Village of Colfax and one mile north of what is today Route 9.
Here’s the Irving School class of 1925. In 2016 Irving is still a public school on Bloomington’s west side (though the old building in the background was long replaced with a more modern structure).
The first Mr. Quick opened in Normal in 1959. Eventually the hamburger chain, founded by Marcel Comte, boasted locations in four states. The last Mr. Quick restaurant, located at the northeast corner of Washington and Clinton streets in Bloomington, closed in early 2001
Twelve eighth grade graduates from the Illinois Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home (later renamed the Illinois Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Children’s School, or ISSCS) pose for this late spring 1928 photograph. Unfortunately, the only students positively identified are Richard Griffith (middle, back row) and Thelma Capshaw (second from left, front row).
This photograph is undated but we know the Robert Redford-Jane Fonda romantic comedy “Barefoot in the Park” played at the Normal in late September through early October 1967.
Seen here are 1909 graduates from Cooksville, a small community some fifteen miles northeast of Normal. Left to right, beginning with the top row, are Grace Fossett, Ethel Wright, Eddie Manning, Merle Douglass, and Clarence Crumbaker.
Seen here is “Golden Gleam,” who captured the top prize in the parade class. The trophy winning horse was owned by Harold Mortland of Streator but was ridden by Pete Bradley.
Back in June 1941, E.D. Lawrence, who farmed the Brown estate ten miles east of Bloomington, experimented with blowing chopped hay in the barn mow instead of moving baled hay the traditional method.
On May 24, 1941, Illinois State Normal University competed in the Illinois Intercollegiate Conference track and field championship in DeKalb, on the campus of what was then called Northern Illinois State Teachers College.
May is Older Americans Month. Designated in 1963 by President John F. Kennedy, this time is set aside to recognize the contributions that seniors make in their communities. We at the McLean County Museum of History agree that history is made every day and by people of all ages.
The June 3, 1898, Bloomington High School commencement exercises were held at the Grand Opera House on East Market Street. At this time the high school was located on the north side of Monroe Street between Prairie and Gridley streets
Seen here is “High Tide,” first-place winner of the June 20-21, 1953 horse show in the hackney singles stake. Owned by S.S. Ferguson of Heyworth, “High Tide’ was driven by Orris Gray (holding the reins). Presenting the trophy (center) is Philip Schandein. Joe Wiltermood is on the left.
The McLean County chapter of Flying Farmers offered free airplane rides to some 70 moms and dads on Father’s Day, June 21, 1953.
Seen here at Bloomington Municipal Airport are Ivel Wade (left) and Art Hill (right) holding ten-month-olds.
A lot of visitors were coming to see Don and Bernadine Minder in early May 1958 because they just had a baby. The problem was their six-year-old son Dennis had come down with the measles! Caroline Minder placed this sign at the front door.
Here’s a wonderful view of the 100 block of West Jefferson Street, or the north side of the Courthouse Square. Pictured here are Roland’s and Klemm’s, two longtime local retailers.
Back in 1936, there was one graduation ceremony for all graduates, and it was staged on the Quad.Seen here are unidentified ISU faculty members taking part in it.