This undated photograph came to the Museum as part of a larger donation from Sybil Mervis of Danville, Illinois. The Stern Furniture Co. was a downtown Bloomington fixture for much of the twentieth century.
In November 1969, employees of Danville, IL-based Fairhall Elevator Co., while installing a new elevator at American State Bank on the east side of the Courthouse Square, were surprised to uncover remnants of an older elevator.
Julia LeBeau (1903-1994) was the daughter of George and Nettie LeBeau, owners of a Bloomington music shop. In 1906 she decided she wanted a xylophone, but her father didn't want to spend the money — he didn't think she'd stick with it. Instead, he built this tin-can xylophone for her, using fruit, fish, and vegetable cans purchased from a downtown Bloomington grocery.
This photograph of Mrs. Bridget Dooley was taken March 24, 1941, on the occasion of her eightieth birthday. She's seen here at her home, 802 West Mulberry Street in Bloomington.
The Museum recently received a Normal Sanitary Dairy baseball uniform worn during the late 1930s and early 1940s. Located at 301 Broadway in Normal, the Normal Sanitary Dairy sold milk and other dairy products to McLean County residents from 1930 to 1959.
This photograph, circa 1916, shows the church league basketball team from Grace Methodist Episcopal (now Grace United Methodist) Church in Bloomington.
Ice skating proved so popular in the early decades of the twentieth century that from time to time Bloomington officials established additional skating venues.