Volume: One Box
Dates: 1868-1889; 1951-55
Reproduction: Permission to reproduce or publish material in this collection must be obtained in writing from the McLean County Museum of History.
The village of McLean, IL was platted in 1856. School District No. 5 was laid out and organized in 1858. The present site for the school was selected in 1867. In 1868, a two story school was near completion when it was destroyed by a tornado. Another was quickly constructed in time for the fall term. The cost was $7,373.53 and it was used for both grade and high school. This building was destroyed by fire in December 1883. The next summer a building similar to the old one was erected. It was completely remodeled inside in 1901 and 1902. The building was kept in excellent repair and served the district for more than 32 years. It was destroyed by fire in 1916. A one-story brick school building was constructed in 1918. The district was consolidated with six rural schools in McLean County and two in Logan County in 1947. This became Community Consolidated District No. 424.
--Adapted from William B. Brigham’s The Story of McLean County and Its Schools
This collection contains 1 ledger book and 1 folder of history of the district.
(all folders must be closed for "Show/Hide All" to function properly)
Excerpt from The Story of McLean County and Its Schools by William B. Brigham, pp. 85-87.
Excerpt from “A Century of Golden Years: The Centennial History of McLean, Illinois” by Centennial Book Committee, pp. 10-13.
District School Record ledger book
Record of Annual School Elections 1880-1886
Record of School Officers 1878-1887
Record of Proceedings of the District 5 Board 1880-1887
Register of Orders 1885-1887
Record of Teachers’ Contracts 1882-1886
List of Books Used by Order of School Board 1868-1880
Record of Special School Election 1883-1884
Register of School Bonds 1884-1889
Record of Tax Certificate 1880-1886
Twp. Treasurer’s Semi-Annual Statement 1879-1885
Misc. Record 1885-1887