Sat Feb 24 13:00:00 2018
In honor of the Bicentennial of Illinois, the Museum is pleased to welcome Dr. G. Logan Miller, assistant professor of anthropology at Illinois State University, who will present a program about the recent archaeological findings at the Noble-Wieting Site this past summer. The program will be held on Saturday, February 24 at 1:00 p.m. in the Museum’s Governor Fifer Courtroom and is free and open to the public.
During the Mississippian period (1000-1400 AD) the largest prehistoric North American city existed right here in Illinois. The rise and fall of Cahokia reverberated throughout eastern North America, resulting in many population movements and new ways of life in the region.Archaeologists refer to the new lifeways in northern Illinois at this time as the Langford tradition. While most major Langford sites occur along the upper Illinois River and the Chicagoland area, one site that does not fit the pattern is the village of Noble-Wieting in McLean County. Since the early 1900s archaeologists have puzzled over the site’s anomalous nature. Was Noble-Wieting a trading outpost, set up by Langford peoples to access Mississippian goods or ideas? Was it a refuge, established by Langford peoples but accepting disaffected Mississippians? Or was it an example of ethnogenesis, a new cultural entity emerging from the interaction of two or more disparate groups? Recently, Illinois State University and the Illinois State Archaeological Survey returned to this important site to address these, and other, questions. Miller will review what we are learning about Noble-Wieting as well as the many lingering questions that remain unanswered.
Dr. G. Logan Miller’s research and publications cover topics related to lithic technology and Midwestern prehistory. He has also directed archaeological field schools in Illinois and Ohio.
For more information about this program, please contact the Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 309-827-0428. Free parking is available on the Museum Square and surrounding streets or at the Lincoln Parking Deck located on Front Street.