A heavy snowfall in February 1908 put a halt to this steam locomotive along the Illinois Central Railroad’s “Bloomer Line.”
None of these buildings are standing today. This is all surface parking and the Irvin Theater would be built on this block in 1915.
Pastor J.H. Yohe of First Pentecostal Church of Bloomington gives a sled a push. The boys were part of a 40-orphan contingent from Tupelo, Mississippi.
“Tornado Leaves Trail of Debris Strung Across Central Illinois" read the page 5 headline in the June 11, 1939 Pantagraph. Seen here is damage from that storm in downtown Arrowsmith, the small McLean County community east of Bloomington. A tornado and / or accompanying high winds tore off the corner of the Masonic building and left the Hess grocery store exposed to the elements.