200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#Transportation

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 61: Courthouse Square 1930

Seen here is an early Great Depression view of the McLean County Courthouse, looking northeast from the corner of Center and Washington streets.

Read more…

Written by Torii Moré in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 34: Bloomington that-a-way?

In 1929, an “air marker" was placed atop The Daily Pantagraph building in downtown Bloomington. Why then did this sign tell pilots that Bloomington is five miles further to the north?

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 31: Visiting your aunts . . . 1935 style!

On September 9, 1935, a U.S. Army Air Corps Keystone B-5A biplane bomber touched down at the Bloomington Municipal Airport (Central Illinois Regional Airport). Though the bomber was part of the 49th Bombardment Squadron based in Langley Field, Virginia, the nature of this visit was personal.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 17: Tracy Green & Co., circa 1928

Tracy Green & Co., circa 1928, located at the southwest corner of Washington and Gridley streets east of downtown Bloomington.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 16: Cropsey Railroad Station

This rare shot of the train depot in Cropsey likely dates to the 1880s.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 4: Beware of March Snowstorms!

Little is known about this photograph from the Museum archives except the date—March 7, 1931.

Little is known about this photograph from the Museum archives except the date—March 7, 1931. A check of local newspaper microfilm at Bloomington Public Library tells us that in fact there was a major snowstorm at this time. “Winter's Worst Storm Grips State—Relief Today, Is Prediction" was the March 8, 1931 front page headline in The Pantagraph.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Photo of the Week, 3: C.U. Wiliams and Son Co., 1914

C.U. Williams and Son Co., 207 E. Washington St., Bloomington, dates to 1914

This photo of C.U. Williams and Son Co., 207 E. Washington St., Bloomington, dates to 1914. It was part of a Williams advertisement appearing in a souvenir program for a December 7-8, 1914 minstrel show staged by the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Bloomington Lodge 281, at the Chatterton Opera House on E. Market St.

Read more…