200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#1930s

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Back to School Illinois Wesleyan, September 1938

IWU students entering and leaving Hedding Hall, 1938.

Seen here are IWU students entering and leaving Hedding Hall during the fall semester, 1938.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Darlene Bishop, Doll Collector Heyworth, August 1938

Young girl poses with doll collection, 1938.

Twelve-year-old Darlene Bishop poses with her collection of 225 dolls in August 1938.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

American Legion Carnival Bon-Go Park, July 3-8, 1933

Aerial view of Bon-Go Park carnival, 1933.

The American Legion Louis E. Davis Post No. 56 sponsored a six-day carnival at Bon-Go Park, the popular leisure grounds a few miles south of downtown Bloomington. The carnival included the Beckmann and Gerety Shows, billed as “America’s cleanest carnival.”

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Bloomington Fire Department Demonstration, December 15, 1939

BFD public demonstration of new engines and equipment, 1939.

No need to panic! The State Farm Insurance Co. downtown building was not ablaze in mid-December 1939. This was a BFD public demonstration of new engines and equipment, including an 85-foot Seagrave aerial ladder truck. The photo on the right shows a similar photo angle, circa 2014.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

LeRoy Centennial Queen October 19, 1935

LeRoy Centennial parade float, 1935.

This photo was taken of the LeRoy Centennial parade, held back in 1935. Rose Mae Bishop (seated) served as centennial queen.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

LeRoy Centennial Parade October 19, 1935

LeRoy Centennial parade, 1935.

A merchant’s parade was one of the highlights of LeRoy’s three-day centennial celebration, 1935. Leading the parade and seen here was the drum and bugle corps of the Illinois Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Children’s School of Normal.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

A Boy’s Feathered Friend Victory Hall, Normal, c. 1930

Victory Hall boy with a bird, 1930.

Opened after World War I at 904 Hovey Ave. in Normal, Victory Hall was a safe place for boys from troubled families. Seen here is Victory Hall boy George Sanders about 1930.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Spirit of ’76 Withers Park, 1938

Kids in a parade, 1938.

These unidentified youngsters were part of a massive “Pioneer Day” parade in Bloomington on June 22, 1938. Although not a Fourth of July scene, strictly speaking, we think this photograph speaks to the traditions of Independence Day.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Bloomington Coliseum June 1938

Coliseum in Bloomington, 1938.

Opened in December 1898, the Coliseum was a field house-type structure with phenomenal acoustics. It hosted everything from famed sopranos to Jazz Age dance bands. Interestingly, the old Coliseum stood directly across Front Street from the “new” (now 10-years old) U.S. Cellular Coliseum.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Auto Hotel Downtown Bloomington

Fireproof automobile garage, 1937.

In July 1937, a group of Bloomington businessmen purchased the old post office building and then razed the post office in order to build Bloomington’s first fireproof automobile garage. The Auto Hotel opened in late June 1938.

Read more…