200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

#1930s

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Bloomington Letter Carriers Circa early 1930s

Bloomington mailmen, 1930s.

These spiffy letter carriers pose in front of the pre-1932 downtown Bloomington post office, which was located at the northwest corner of East and Jefferson streets.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Willard and Joel Yordy Heyworth Township, August 1938

​Farmer Joel Yordy and his son Willard, 1938.

Farmer Joel Yordy (right) and his son Willard pose in front of a smartly trimmed Osage orange hedgerow in Heyworth.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

LeRoy Aerial East of Downtown, January 1933

Ariel view of LeRoy, 1933

The view here is looking south. Today, there’s a new high school and more residential in-fill, but some of what’s seen here remains much the same 83 years later.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Private Joe’ Fifer Laid to Rest August 8, 1938

Funeral procession for Joseph Fifer, 1938.

Seen here are pallbearers bringing the casket of Joseph “Private Joe” Fifer into the old downtown Bloomington Unitarian Church. A longtime Bloomington resident, Fifer served as Illinois governor from 1889 to 1893. He had passed away two days earlier at the age of 97.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Wabash Telephone Company Local Switchboard, Bloomington, 1935

Bloomington switchboard workers, 1935.

This early photo shows a full daytime force of operators on the “local board” at the Wabash Telephone Co.’s which handled about 60,000 calls a day.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Radio Party, Sept. 1938 806 W. Market St., Bloomington

Group of friends working on a homemade radio, 1938.

In mid-September 1938, members of the “roundhouse gang” from the Alton Railroad Shops on Bloomington’s west side helped coworker Orville Jolly erect an antenna mast for his new custom-built radio.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Radio Party, Sept. 1938 806 W. Market St., Bloomington

Group of friends working on a homemade radio, 1938.

In mid-September 1938, members of the “roundhouse gang” from the Alton Railroad Shops on Bloomington’s west side helped coworker Orville Jolly erect an antenna mast for his new custom-built radio.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Men with Hats Passenger Service Inaugurated Old ‘Bloomington’ Airport, 1931

Men standing in front of Bloomington's first airport, 1931.

This 1931 scene at that field shows a local delegation standing before one of Century Air Lines’ 10-passenger Stinson tri-motor “ships.” The occasion was the inauguration of air passenger service to this area.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Cedar Crest, Normal Undated Aerial, c. early 1930s

Aerial view of Cedar Crest in Normal, 1930s.

Here’s a fascinating view of the Cedar Crest neighborhood in Normal from the Depression era.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

In the shades of Wesleyan’s elms … September 1938

Group of friends on the Illinois Wesleyan University quad, 1938.

Gathered here on the Illinois Wesleyan University quad in 1938 are students (left to right) Allan Goss of Lexington; Justus Olson of Foosland; Gertrude Ringler of Strawn; and William Ewalt of Ohio, IL.

Read more…