200 North Main Street | Bloomington, Illinois | 309-827-0428

On the Square

Blog


Subscribe to our RSS feed

Categories

Tags

Written by Lauren Lacy in Museum News

Museum announces 2017 History Maker Honorees

Graphic showing the 2017 honorees: Craig Hart, Jeanne Morris, Charles Morris, Judy Stone and Jesse Smart

The McLean County Museum of History announced today five recipients of the 2017 History Makers award to be presented during the Museum’s sixth annual History Makers Gala on Thursday, June 15

Read more…

Written by Lauren Lacy in Museum News Event Spotlight

Craig Hart Named 2017 History Makers Honoree

Craig Hart head shot

Craig Hart was born on January 11, 1934 in Streator, Illinois. He earned his Bachelor’s degree in accounting and economics and his master’s degree in accounting from the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana.

Read more…

Written by Lauren Lacy in Museum News Event Spotlight

Jeanne and Charles Morris Named 2017 History Makers Honorees

Jeanne and Charles Morris

The story of how Jeanne and Charles Morris met “usually gets a smile,” according to Charles. Jeanne and Charles Morris grew up in entirely different states, but met in college while working at a camp on Squam Lake in Holderness, New Hampshire. Although they then went their separate ways—Jeanne back to Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia and Charles back to Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, North Carolina—the two kept in touch as they finished up their undergraduate degrees.

Read more…

Written by Lauren Lacy in Museum News Event Spotlight

Judy Stone Named 2017 History Makers Honoree

Judy Stone

Judy Stone was born in Columbus, Ohio on July 21, 1932. After growing up in Ohio, Judy received her bachelor’s degree in English and attended Northwestern University in Evanston for her master’s degree in History. It was in Evanston that Judy met her husband Jerry, who was working on his PhD.

Read more…

Written by Lauren Lacy in Museum News Event Spotlight

Jesse Smart Named 2017 History Makers Honoree

Jesse Smart

Jesse Smart was born on April 29, 1939 on a small family farm in Pike County, IL.

After graduating as class valedictorian at East Pike High School, Jesse went on to study agricultural education at the University of Illinois. It was there, in Urbana-Champaign, that Jesse met his wife Susan.

Read more…

Written by Lauren Lacy in Museum News Extending Excellence Campaign

Mitsubishi Motors joins Museum's campaign for local education, exhibits

Ryan Gremore, general manager and operating partner of O'Brien Mitsubishi of Normal (far righ) presents a $50,000 donation to Museum board members and Museum Executive Director Beth Whisman.

The Mitsubishi Motors U.S.A. Foundation, in partnership with O'Brien Mitsubishi of Normal, presented the McLean County Museum of History today with a $50,000 gift to support the Museum’s free education programs and to help complete ongoing upgrades that are outlined by the Museum’s Extending Excellence campaign.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Face-off! Angler’s Club, Bloomington January 1938

Angler's Club playing hockey on Angler's Lake on January 31, 1938

Hockey players Carson, Bower, Smith, Rasmussen, Walsh, and Redman play hockey on Angler's Lake, one of several old play pits. The club has since disbanded.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Excelsior School -- Cheney’s Grove Township, 1938

Three boys in school constructing a model home, 1938

Excelsior School was one of more than 250 one-room schools in McLean County. Joe and Jack Powell working on the kitchen floor while Gayle Bane looks on.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Lathrop's Barbershop, 1914

Group of men, and a dog, posing for a photo in a barbershop, 1914.

George Lathrop was a Bloomington barber for many years. it was located on the 400 block of N. Main St.

Read more…

Written by Bill Kemp in Historic Photos

Emerson School, Bloomington March 1976

Group of children hold hands in a circle at Emerson School, 1976

Built in the early 1900s, Emerson School was demolished in 1985. The old school site was converted to green space and is known today as Emerson Park.

Read more…